AliExpress is one of the biggest places to buy and sell things online in the world. It has also become the best place to find products to outsource.
There are a lot of manufacturers that offer fast shipping, but most drop shippers prefer free or cheap shipping.
The problem with cheap shipping is that it takes too long.
As a dropshipper, you’ll probably use standard shipping, but there are a lot of things you need to know about AliExpress shipping before you do.
When you fully understand how this works, you can make better business decisions and keep customers happy.
What does “standard shipping” on AliExpress mean?
AliExpress Standard Shipping is a type of shipping that AliExpress does on its own. If you’ve heard of Amazon FBA, it’s kind of like that.
FBA means “Shipped by Amazon.” This means that the sellers are sending their goods to Amazon. Amazon then puts the items in its warehouse.
The products are listed, and when a customer places an order, Amazon ships it, not the merchant.
Standard shipping is one of the least expensive ways to ship on AliExpress. Most of the time, shipping is free. If you have to pay, it will cost you between $1 and $3. Most of the time, you can find suppliers who will ship your order and keep track of it for free.
Who does the Standard Shipping for AliExpress?
AliExpress does not have its own ships or planes to send packages to other countries.
It works with many shipping companies all over the world. Singapore Post, DHL, Direct Link, and many more are examples of these.
These companies offer AliExpress lower prices and many other benefits, like shipping from door to door.
In some cases, the customs duties are also paid, but not always.
If you choose this shipping method when you buy something from AliExpress, this is what will happen.
- A worker from AliExpress looks for the product in the warehouse.
- The package is picked up by the shipping partner.
- The package is sent by the shipping partner.
- The package is sent to its warehouse in the country where it is going.
- The post office in the country where the package is going brings it to the customer.
Even though the package goes through a few steps, it is much safer and more reliable because the company that handles it is an expert. Shipping is also cheaper because it has a special rate for AliExpress, but it’s still not free.
Most of the time, Standard Shipping on AliExpress would cost between $2 and $3. Delivery can take between 15 and 20 days, but it can take up to 60 days, depending on where you are.
Can you keep track of standard shipping orders?
Yes, if you use the Standard Shipping option on AliExpress, there is a way to track your package. Go to the AliExpress website, log in, and then check the status of your order to see where it is.
One problem with the Standard Shipping option on AliExpress is that not all packages have a tracking number. This means you can only find out how your order is going on AliExpress.
This will be a problem if you have customers who want to know where their packages are.
You can’t give any, so you’ll have to show a screenshot of the item’s shipping status on AliExpress.
Your customer might see that you bought the item from China and ask for a refund if they don’t like products from China.
AliExpress will often give you a tracking number. This tracking number can be used on a site called 17 Track.
You can also give your customer this tracking number and show them how to use 17 Track to find out what’s going on with their order.
Global Cainiao is another way to keep track of things. It works with AliExpress to ship packages, and it’s like FedEx or DHL in China.
Like with 17 track, AliExpress will give you a tracking number. Then, you can go to their website to see where your package is in the shipping process.
How to Track an AliExpress Package
You can check if a tracking number is available for the shipping method you choose for every item you buy on AliExpress.
To find the tracking number, follow these steps.
- Click on an item you want to buy.
- Click on the options for shipping
- You’ll see a page that tells you if you can get a tracking number.
If you don’t have a tracking number, the only thing you can give your customer is a screenshot of the shipping status from your AliExpress account.
After waiting for two weeks, your customer may ask for a refund.
This is a big problem because if the item has already been shipped and is on its way to you, the seller won’t give you a refund.
To solve this problem, it’s very important to tell your customers how long it will take to ship the item, where it will ship from, and what your refund policies are.
Make sure the customer is on board with this. If the customer changes his mind or doesn’t agree, don’t order the product on AliExpress.
It will save you a lot of trouble down the road.
Pros and Cons of Standard Shipping on AliExpress
As a business owner, you would want to take advantage of the free shipping because it has a lot of benefits. Here are some reasons why standard shipping is a good idea.
- The cheapest thing you can buy on AliExpress. It’s usually free or costs between $1 and $3.
- You can track the package so you always know where it is.
- Almost all providers have this option, so you can always use it.
- Good packaging is used to send out products.
Even though the shipping cost is low, there are some downsides that your customers might not like.
- It can take up to 60 days to ship.
- The package will be sent to the country’s Customs office, where it may or may not have to be picked up.
- Among the tens or hundreds of thousands of packages, things can get lost.
- Customers may have to pay Customs duties.
Now that you know these things, you can see that you have some big problems you need to solve.
Do people really want to wait 60 days for something? What should you do if the package gets lost?
To help you answer the questions, we need to know what happens when you choose AliExpress Standard Shipping as your delivery method.
How Does ePacket Shipping Work?
Many AliExpress products will have the label “ePacket” on them. What is an ePacket?
The government pays for ePacket, which is a type of shipping.
ePacket is a way to ship things, but only manufacturers and sellers in China and Hong Kong can use it.
China made a deal with other countries to pay for the cost of shipping in order to help their economies. This way, people from other countries can buy things from China without having to pay for shipping.
Because of this, China can keep making things, send them to other countries, and make money so that its people can also make money.
Is AliExpress ePacket limited in what it can do?
Yes, ePacket can only be used to ship items that weigh less than 2 kilograms (4.4 lbs.). Also, the price of the item being shipped can’t be more than $400.
The size of the package must be at least 14 centimeters by 11 centimeters.
ePacket: Why You Should Use It
This option for shipping has benefits for both the seller and the person who receives the package.
- Fast Shipping: If you choose this option for your drop-shipping business, the product should arrive within 10 to 20 days. Even so, your local competitors who ship from and to the same country will still beat you. Many drop shippers want to buy locally because it takes less than three days to ship goods from there.
- Low Cost—ePackets aren’t always free. Some stores still charge for shipping because they have to pay for other things. This cost includes things like the bubble wrap or extra foam that goes inside the box to keep the item from breaking. Even though this is the case, the price is still a lot cheaper than other ways to ship.
- Door-To-Door: As the seller, you can choose to track your package from door to door. This is free, and the product you ordered will be sent right to your house.
- Support For A Lot Of Countries: 42 countries offer ePacket shipping. Some examples are the USA, the UK, Russia, France, and many others. But you need to know that there are different shipping times. Look below to find out about the different shipping times.
- 20 to 30 business days in Brazil
- 20 days for business in Mexico
- Vietnam: 5-7 business days
- Russia, Ukraine and Saudi Arabia: 7-15 business days
- All other countries where shipping is possible: 7–10 business days
AliExpress Standard Shipping is different from ePacket. But a lot of drop shippers get these two things mixed up. ePacket is a special way for China and other countries to send packages to each other.
The government has regular flights to these countries, which is why it is cheap or free. If your package makes it to this time, it will be shipped at that time.
AliExpress offers other ways to ship.
Other than AliExpress Standard Shipping and ePacket, are there any other ways to ship? There are, yes. But you should be aware that they are expensive.
Also, it costs more to ship things faster. AliExpress has so many ways to ship items. Because they ship to different countries, every maker or seller has a different selection.
If you want to know if a certain manufacturer ships to a certain country and what your options are, you need to click on the shipping option and then the drop down.
Once you choose a country, you will see a table with the shipping partners, the price, and how long it will take to ship.
Check out the table and compare the prices if you want to give your customers more choices.
In the screenshots above, you can see that there are different ways to ship this product to the United States. Here, you can choose from Special Line, ePacket, and China Post Airmail, all of which offer free shipping.
Not all three free shipping methods have the same shipping times, and not all three offer tracking numbers.
Below that, if you scroll down, you’ll see options for AliExpress Standard Shipping and DHL.
Both have tracking numbers, but DHL has shorter shipping times. The customer will get the package in no more than 13 days, but you will have to pay $57.54 for this.
ePacket vs. Standard Shipping on AliExpress
ePacket offers free shipping for 25 days with a tracking number
Standard Shipping on AliExpress costs $2.44 for 25 days of shipping with a tracking number.
Here, ePacket is the better option. It ships in the same number of days and is free. It also comes with a tracking number.
Does it really matter that shipping takes a long time?
As a dropshipper, it can be hard to deal with long shipping times. You are up against giants like Amazon and Lazada in the U.S. and Europe, respectively.
These two big companies have their own fulfillment centers and can ship orders out very quickly.
So what do you do?
First, don’t stress out. Many studies show that customers don’t mind waiting a while for their product to arrive.
The thing is, you have to tell them the truth. If a customer knows what to expect or what he is paying for, he will be patient and not complain.
Here are some ways to make the most of long shipping times.
- Your product pages need to say that it can take more than 30 days to ship. You need to carefully explain why this is going on.
- Make sure to say that there is no shipping cost. You can add a DHL shipping rate to your product pages. The rate will cost $57, but the shipping will be done in less than 13 days. Put that price next to FREE SHIPPING, which will take more than 30 days. Customers will always choose the option that gives them free shipping.
- Send an email first when a customer places an order. Tell the customer what the rules are for shipping. Make sure to tell the customer that you won’t give a refund if the item has already been shipped and that you won’t give a refund until 60 days after the shipment began. Why 60 days? This is meant to keep you safe. Some packages are late.
- If the customer says yes, you can order the item from AliExpress. If not, you should cancel the order and refund the money.
Do long times to shop keep people from buying?
Not really, no. Customers know that it takes time to get goods from other countries. This is why you should tell the truth. Don’t make promises you can’t keep, or you’ll have a lot of trouble down the road.
Many drop shippers will also tell you that after two weeks, customers will start to ask about their packages or orders.
If you told them from the beginning that the shipment would take 30 days, all you have to do to stop them from complaining is tell them that the item is on its way.
But if you lie to them, you can expect them to be angry and ask for their money back.
Remember that being honest with customers from the start is the only way to keep them from getting mad. Be patient when they ask, and give them great customer service by being polite and answering their questions.
Don’t make them wait for you to reply.
The Various Shipment Status
When you make a purchase on AliExpress, you need to use your AliExpress account to keep track of it. A shipment will change from one status to another.
It’s important to know what the status means so you can tell your customers what it means.
Here are the different ways orders can be in:
- Awaiting payment: Waiting for payment means you haven’t paid for the product yet. You have to go to your AliExpress dashboard, click on the product, and then finish the checkout process to pay for it.
- Payment Being Verified: Sometimes, AliExpress needs a little bit of time to make sure the payment is real. This happens if the name on the credit card doesn’t match the name on the purchase. We strongly suggest that they are the same so that no one thinks they are trying to scam you.
- Awaiting Shipment: Once the payment is made and confirmed, AliExpress or the seller will pack and ship the item. During this status, all you have to do is wait for the seller to do his job. Some sellers can take up to seven days to pack and ship. These details can be found in the product details.
- Awaiting Delivery: If you see the status “Awaiting Delivery,” the product is on its way. This can take a few days or a few weeks. You can get a tracking number from the seller once the item has been sent out, if one is available. You can also use 17 Track or Global Cainiao to check the status of your shipment at this time.
- Completed: means that the buyer has already received and approved the product.
Sometimes the status will say that the shipment was lost or returned. In some cases, you will also be told that the product did not make it to its destination.
This can happen if you sent the product to a hard-to-reach area or if it was left at the country’s post office and no one picked it up.
Mistakes sellers often make with shipping
Here are some of the most common mistakes sellers make when they buy from AliExpress.
Orders are marked as received
As a seller, you should never mark an order as “received” on AliExpress, even if the merchant has already sent it. If you do that and something goes wrong, you can’t get your money back.
The product could get lost in shipping, and your customer would tell you he never got it.
If this happens, you can’t complain to AliExpress and ask for a refund because you already said you got the item.
Forms are not filled out correctly
You have to fill out a shipping form when you order something on AliExpress. Make sure that you spell everything right as you do this. You also need to make sure that the ZIP code you use is right.
Since you sell things online, you can use Google Maps to check an address. Sometimes, it’s the customer who did something wrong.
If something seems wrong, let your buyer know. Make sure you have the right information, because once something has been shipped, you can’t take it back.
Watch Out For Bad Suppliers
There are salespeople out there who will try to get you to do something wrong. Some people will only give you money if you give them a good seller rating.
You alone are in charge of making this choice. Sometimes, the item getting lost or not being delivered is not the seller’s fault. But if the problem is that the seller sent the wrong item, do you really want to do business with that seller again?
AliExpress Delivery Last Words
AliExpress is one of the biggest markets in the world, but there are still a lot of things that can go wrong. As a drop shipper, you should always remember that it’s your job to know how things work behind the scenes.
You should also protect yourself from bad sellers and give them honest feedback so that other drop shippers don’t end up in the same situation.