WordPress is by far the biggest platform for hosting websites. It has 75 million users all over the world. Even though e-commerce platforms like Shopify and BigCommerce have come out, WordPress is still the best because it can do so many things.
You can add different plug-ins to WordPress, such as e-commerce payment gateways, that do different things. You just have to choose the one that works best for you.
We’ll look at the five best e-commerce payment gateways for WordPress and help you decide which one is best for your business.
How to pick a payment processor
All payment gateways do the same thing, which is to charge the credit cards of your customers, process the payment, and then send you the money. Now, even if they can all do this, you still need to look at other important features to choose the best one.
When making a payment online, security is the most important thing. Hackers are waiting in the shadows to find weak spots that they can use to their advantage. Here are some tips to help you find a safe way to accept payments.
- SSL Certificate: SSL stands for “Secure Socket Layer,” which is what the certificate is. It is a type of technology that uses encryption to make sure that only the payment gateway provider can read the information that the customer has given. With an SSL Certificate, you can be sure that everything you do online is safe.
- Encryption: 128-bit encryption is the best there is right now. This number, 128 bit, just means that there are a total of 128 strings of numbers and letters that can be used as a key to lock and unlock information. A hacker would need thousands of years to figure out what that key is with this many possible combinations.
Both SSL and 128-bit encryption are used by all banks and other financial institutions that can be trusted. If a payment processor doesn’t have these two, you have to move on to another one.
Some payment gateways would take your customer away from your WordPress site while they paid. If this happens, your customer will start to wonder what’s going on and may worry about his personal and financial safety.
Choose a payment gateway that lets your customers check out without leaving your website. Pick one that is also easy to use. Do not install a payment gateway that requires customers to sign up for an account or prove who they are.
Which countries does the payment gateway serve? Nothing is worse than a happy customer who finds out later that his country is not supported.
Pick a payment processor that:
- Hundreds of countries can send payments.
- Changes money to the customer’s currency automatically
When it comes to billing, you always want to make things easy for the customer.
Here’s one for you. How will you withdraw your money? Some payment gateways will only let you withdraw money using a card they send you. To say the least, this is a pain.
Pick payment processors that:
- Let you withdraw money straight to your bank
- Let you withdraw money whenever you want, with no set amount.
- Let you get your money whenever you want.
As a business owner, you need to get paid as soon as possible by your customers so you can pay your bills. If a payment gateway only sends you the money once every two weeks, you will have to pay your business bills out of your own money.
What are the five best ways to accept payments in WordPress?
There are a lot of plug-ins for WordPress that let you sell things online. Reading the details and rules for each of them could be a little tiring, so we’ll save you the trouble and show you only the five best plug-ins to choose from.
WooCommerce and PayPal Pro
PayPal is one of the oldest and most reliable ways to send and receive money online. When it began in 1998, it was just a company that let people send and receive money. Now, it’s a huge financial company that has bought other payment systems like Braintree and Venmo.
You must first install the WooCommerce plug-in and then the PayPal Pro extension plug-in in order to use PayPal Pro.
Even if your customers don’t use PayPal, you can charge their credit cards with this payment gateway.
Customers and businesspeople will also be able to enjoy the following:
- Customers don’t have to go anywhere else.
- Any credit card can be used by the customer.
You have to use PayPal yourself before you can use PayPal Pro. When you install the plug-in, you’ll need the PayPal API code. All payments made to your WordPress-based online store will be sent to your PayPal account.
You can send the money to your bank account from there. You will pay a fixed fee of $79 per month for a single site.
Stripe is a way for people to pay online. PayPal bought it in 2013. WooCommerce is like PayPal Pro in that you have to install it on your WordPress site before you can use it.
WooCommerce is free to use, so if you add another plug-in to charge customers for their purchases, you won’t have to pay twice as much. Stripe has more than 10,000 active installations on WordPress, and it constantly updates its software to keep up with the needs of the internet.
Here are some reasons why your WordPress e-commerce site should use Stripe.
- Customers can pay with credit cards without leaving your site.
- Can be used on desktop, laptop, tablet, and mobile devices
- There’s no need to join.
- Supports 14 languages
- Up to 135 currencies from 135 countries can be accepted.
- has a service that translates
- Billing information and street address do not have to be collected.
Stripe doesn’t charge fees every month. Instead, every transaction cost will cost you 2.9% plus 30 cents. You don’t have to pay any set-up fees, and the system is updated every year at no extra cost.
The money will go to your bank account, but there is a 2-day rolling period. With Stripe, you have to be careful about disputes. At least $15 in fees can come from a single chargeback.
Braintree is also owned by PayPal, and it is one of the best e-commerce plug-ins for WordPress because it works with other payment systems. This means that your customer does not have to sign up for a Braintree account in order to use it.
If a customer uses Google Pay or Apple Pay, he can pay for your goods with the same account through the Braintree payment gateway.
Here are some of Braintree’s pros:
- Customers can pay with Google Pay, Apple Pay, PayPal, PayPal Credit, Venmo, credit cards, and many other payment methods.
- fits in with WooCommerce.
- Platform that is very safe
- You can charge subscriptions
- You can give refunds and make your own form for customers to check out.
Braintree is available in many places, and it only takes two to three business days for the money to get to your bank account.
Also, if you decide to leave the system and switch to another payment service provider, you can download your data from Braintree and keep your customer information.
Square is not only a way to process payments, but also a way to sell things. It works with all of the major credit cards, and you can also take payments in person.
Here are some good things about Square:
- Take major credit cards both online and in person.
- Available in the most important parts of the world
- There are no setup fees, hidden fees, or monthly fees.
- Transfer money quickly to your bank account
- PCI-DSS compliant systems make it very safe.
The payment will show up in your bank account within two to three business days. Different countries have different transaction fees for Square. You will pay about 2.75 % of the transaction cost on average.
Square is also more than just a way to pay for things. You can use it to charge for subscriptions or donations. For every payment or donation that goes through, you will also get an email.
If you are a programmer, you are free to make changes to the system. Square will also give you a sandbox account where you can test the changes you made before you put them on your WordPress website.
This is one of the world’s biggest payment networks. To make it work, like the others, you need a WooCommerce plug-in.
One thing that makes 2Checkout stand out is that you can charge customers for digital goods like songs, videos, and art. You can sell books, too. But they also have strict rules about items that are illegal or against the law.
Using the 2Checkout system on your WordPress site has the following benefits:
- Accept major credit cards
- Customers don’t have to sign up for a 2Checkout account to use it. Its system lets you use PayPal Direct checkout.
- Real-time market rates are used for currency conversion.
- 87 currencies and 15 languages are supported.
- Can work with more than 100 shopping carts.
You can get three different kinds of services from 2Checkout. These are called 2Sell, 2Subscribe, and 2Monetize. Each service is made for a different kind of use, and each has its own transaction rate. Even though there are no set-up or monthly fees with 2Checkout, you will pay an average of 3.5% + 0.30 EUR per transaction.
For both 2Subscribe and 2Monetize, the cost per transaction ranges from 4% to 6%. As the names of the services suggest, you can use 2Sell to sell products, 2Subscribe to charge customers for subscriptions, and 2Monetize to sell digital items.
What is the best way to pay for something?
So, what’s the best way to make a payment? So, the answer really depends on you. We’ve already talked about how a good payment system needs to meet a few requirements. One important part is making sure it’s easy for your customers to use. Another is making sure it’s safe, and the last is making sure you can get your money as soon as possible.